Just in surveying the place I now stand, I recently read an article by women who around my age did the same. 30by30. But for now just half:
By 30, you should have …
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come.
P2AD and E, respectively. Ironically enough neither were ever my “boyfriend” but alas they fit the bill. My Person asked me tonight why I’d ever consider being with P2AD when I was unhappy and miserable when I was with him before. I gave her an abbreviated answer because the real one is simple yet complex, love has a short term memory. I know I was upset but I don’t remember why. And even though he broke us–that wasn’t angry it was, for me, the loss of my harbor. With E I just can’t imagine ever going that road again, but he reminds me of days long passed and a simpler age and time. He is like the first whiff of honeysuckle in the air after a long winter. You crave the blossoms with your bones til you realize you’re allergic.
2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family.
I move too much for this, quite yet.
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.
Absolutely. I have an outfit for damn near every occasion.
4. A purse,a suitcase,and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying.
Purse, many. Suitcase, 4. Umbrella? I prefer to dance in the rain, not to hide from it.
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond.
A perfect one.
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age.
College days swiftly pass.
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age — and some money set aside to help fund it.
I’ve been saving for my retirement since I was 22.
8. An email address,a voice mailbox,and a bank account — all of which nobody has access to but you.
Check, check, check. I make all my money blunders and successes, I check my own messages.
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded.
I’ve never lied on a resume; if they want me, they want me.
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry.
NCS, and Tre. No questions asked. No trying to fix it.
11. A set of screwdrivers,a cordless drill,and a black lace bra.
Errrrr, no, no, and yes!
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself,just because you deserve it.
I used to own many things that fit this bill, but now not anymore. Soon though. Soon.
13. The belief that you deserve it.
14. A skin-care regimen,an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30.
Dove bar and Hope in a Jar, Meh, and life only gets better!
15. A solid start on a satisfying career,a satisfying relationship,and all those other facets of life that do get better.
Career, check. Relationship…well I am nearly ready to be honest with what I want. Nearly. I just wish I didn’t have to go first.